Civil Engineering Expert Witnesses
Civil engineering expert witness candidates are typically professional engineers with experience in construction, transportation engineering, mechanical engineering, civil engineering, and/or structural engineering. The expert witness chosen could be a member of an industry organization such as the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), the National Council of Structural Engineers Associations (NCSEA), the International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE), or the International Structural Engineering and Construction Society (ISEC). In a high-profile case, or litigation involving a significant financial stake, a law firm may request an expert with prior expert witness testimony experience.
Civil engineering is a broad profession with many sub-disciplines, including:
- Coastal engineering (managing coastal areas),
- Construction engineering (roads, tunnels, bridges, airports, railroads, facilities, buildings, dams, utilities, etc.),
- Earthquake engineering (design and planning for strong earthquakes on civil infrastructure),
- Environmental engineering (protecting and improving the quality of the environment),
- Geotechnical engineering (engineering behavior of earth materials),
- Materials science (design and discovery of new materials),
- Structural engineering (design of man-made structures),
- Transportation engineering (planning, design, operation and management of any mode of transportation),
- Municipal or urban engineering (streets, sidewalks, water supply networks, sewers, street lighting, solid waste management, etc.), and
- Water resources engineering (hydrology).
Expert witness services could include failure analysis, structural investigation and condition assessment, forensic engineering, an expert report, expert opinion, depositions, and courtroom testimony. In addition, clients may seek a civil engineer or structural engineering consultant for pre-litigation consulting services.
Cahn Litigation Services has been approached by numerous clients to locate expert witnesses that can support civil engineering matters. Example litigation support matters that Cahn Litigation Services has placed experts for include:
- forensic investigation of a Los Angeles, California construction defect claim,
- storm water master planning in Florida,
- general contractor cost estimating,
- groundwater issues in Georgia,
- Texas building construction claims,
- site remediation in New Jersey,
- land surveying for an Illinois site development,
- California wastewater treatment plant Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) compliance,
- accident reconstruction in Pennsylvania involving onsite hydraulics construction equipment, and
- structural failure of a bridge in New York.
Cahn Litigation Services has the experience and resources to turn a search for civil/structural engineering expert witness candidates around quickly.
- Architectural Engineering
- City Planning
- Coastal Development
- Coastal Engineering
- Construction Building Codes
- Construction Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Highway Design
- Land Acquisition
- Land Development
- Land Management
- Land Use
- Railroad Safety
- Structural Engineering
- Traffic Engineering
Civil Engineering Expert Witness - Representative Bios
Please Note: All Cahn Litigation expert witness searches are customized to attorneys' precise specifications and preferences. Attorneys are encouraged to discuss search parameters with a Cahn search specialist.
The below expert witness bios represent a small fraction of those Civil Engineering experts known by Cahn Litigation Services. These bios are provided to give lawyers a sense of the Civil Engineering landscape.