Telecommunications Expert Witnesses
What is a telecommunications expert witness?
Telecommunications expert witness candidates typically have extensive experience in computer engineering, electrical engineering, network engineering, network communications systems, wireless communication, computer science, and/or information technology – dependent on the product or technology involved in the case. Telecom expert witnesses must understand the licensing rules and telecommunication regulations. Many times the telecommunication expert witness selected is familiar with current telecom standards and protocols, and is a member of industry organizations such as the IEEE, Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA), or the GSM Association.
What types of cases require a telecommunications expert witness?
A telecommunications expert witness could provide expertise in intellectual property matters, such as a patent litigation in federal court or a trade secrets dispute. It could be a patent infringement case in the District Court, an Inter Partes Review (IPR) in the PTAB, or a patent case or proceeding in the International Trade Commission (ITC).
Telecommunication is the transmission of information via wire, radio, optical or other electromagnetic systems. Telecommunication uses either wired technology or wireless technology methods, and a telecommunication system consists of three main parts:
- a transmitter (converts information into a signal);
- a transmission medium (carries the signal); and
- a receiver (converts the signal back to usable information).
Telecommunications expert witness case examples
Example cases that Cahn Litigation Services has provided expert witness searches for include:
- cell phone patent infringement litigation,
- telecom installation and coverage in New York,
- a fiber optics technology trade secret dispute in Massachusetts,
- Inter Partes Review (IPR) involving an LTE technology patent,
- due diligence for a business valuation of a New Jersey wireless network entity,
- Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) technology (aka internet telephony),
- Code-division multiple access (CDMA) communication patents asserted by an Arizona entity,
- Wi-fi protocols,
- real time messaging technology,
- Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) standards,
- Local Area Network (LAN) and Wide Area Network (WAN) ethernet-based routing, and
- an information technology subject matter expert for a signal processing project.
What litigation support work might a telecommunications expert witness be expected to perform?
In a litigation scenario, a testifying expert can expect courtroom expert testimony, as well as other expert witness services such as depositions, research and authoring expert reports, providing expert opinions, reverse engineering, and related consulting activities. Attorney clients may also seek a telecommunications industry expert with years of experience for pre-litigation consultant work. In high profile cases, or litigation involving a significant financial stake, previous expert witness testimony experience is often a requirement.
Cahn Litigation Services has the experience required to turn a search for a telecommunications expert witness around quickly, providing the right balance of expertise and testimony experience.
Telecommunications Expert Witness - Representative Bios
Please Note: All Cahn Litigation expert witness searches are customized to attorneys' precise specifications and preferences. Attorneys are encouraged to discuss search parameters with a Cahn search specialist.
The below expert witness bios represent a small fraction of those Telecommunications experts known by Cahn Litigation Services. These bios are provided to give lawyers a sense of the Telecommunications landscape.