Nighttime Visibility Expert Witnesses
Motor vehicle nighttime visibility expert witness candidates typically have expertise and backgrounds in automotive engineering. Representing the plaintiff or defendant, Cahn Litigation Services is often called upon to locate an expert witness to support automotive industry matters including cases involving nighttime visibility.
Although only one quarter of automobile travel occurs after dark, according to the Federal Highway Administration, roughly half of traffic fatalities occur at night. While not all of these fatalities are attributed to nighttime visibility, preventing crash cases caused by night vision issues is a focus of highway safety and automotive engineers.
Developing technologies to improve nighttime visibility challenges include:
- Digital light matrix headlights – This automated system dims light that would otherwise shine directly onto oncoming vehicles, but casts light on the zones between and beside them.
- Special driver eyewear – Research is being done on wearable technology that could eliminate the need for headlights and reflective signage. AR night vision goggles are also a research area that scientists hope will help drivers have an enhanced recognition of and reaction to objects on the road, by alerting drivers real-time if an object is detected.
- Autonomous vehicles – Self driving cars contain many high technology sensors such as video cameras, radar, ultrasonic sensors and LiDAR to help avoid a traffic accident.
- Geofencing – Geofencing could allow for the regulation of speeding in areas with low visibility, for example.
- Retroreflective material – A thin film applied to signs could alert a driver or pedestrian of upcoming traffic situations at night when signs can be difficult to see.
Often, matters requiring nighttime visibility expert witness services involve intellectual property, such as patent infringement litigation or trade secret disputes. A forensic expert can reverse engineer components to prove (or disprove) intellectual property infringement or theft. A specialist in nighttime visibility might also provide testimony in a torts matter like personal injury or a product liability case involving vehicle failure analysis, or be called upon as an accident reconstructionist for expertise in a truck, passenger or commercial vehicle accident. Litigation support by an automotive expert could include accident reconstruction, forensic engineering, expert reports, and expert witness testimony at a trial. In a high-profile case, or litigation involving a significant financial stake, a law firm may request a qualified expert with prior expert witness experience.
Nighttime Visibility Expert Witness - Representative Bios
Please Note: All Cahn Litigation expert witness searches are customized to attorneys' precise specifications and preferences. Attorneys are encouraged to discuss search parameters with a Cahn search specialist.
The below expert witness bios represent a small fraction of those Nighttime Visibility experts known by Cahn Litigation Services. These bios are provided to give lawyers a sense of the Nighttime Visibility landscape.