Intellectual Property Expert Witnesses
What is an intellectual property expert witness?
Intellectual property expert witness candidates typically have extensive experience in intellectual property law or economic damages. Depending on the specifics of the case, specialists in areas of expertise such as software design, mechanical engineering, or electrical engineering may be called upon to support a case.
What types of cases require an intellectual property expert witness?
- New York entity consumer product patent infringement case,
- opinion of a telecommunications patent reasonable royalty,
- licensing contract dispute surrounding high quality automotive components,
- analysis of consumer electronics company’s US patents for potential acquisition,
- medical devices patent litigation damages calculations,
- a mechanical engineering expert to support a trade secret misappropriation matter,
- Los Angeles business valuation,
- polymers and plastics product development,
- a forensic accounting expert to opine on damages,
- software copyright infringement case,
- cell phone manufacturer on-going patent litigation, and
- expert witness testimony in Federal Court for a healthcare technology case, among many others.
What litigation support work might a intellectual property expert witness be expected to perform?
Litigation support by an intellectual property expert could include research, an expert report, expert opinions, prior art searches, claim chart preparation, and expert testimony in court. In addition, a law firm may request an intellectual property consultant for pre-litigation work. An economic damages expert is often called on to opine on lost profits and damages analysis occurring from infringement. In a high-profile case, or litigation involving a significant financial stake, an attorney may require a testifying expert with prior experience.
The firm is skilled and experienced at identifying qualified expert candidates to provide support for all types of IP litigation matters, and is frequently called upon by law firm clients to locate IP experts.
Intellectual Property Expert Witness - Representative Bios
Please Note: All Cahn Litigation expert witness searches are customized to attorneys' precise specifications and preferences. Attorneys are encouraged to discuss search parameters with a Cahn search specialist.
The below expert witness bios represent a small fraction of those Intellectual Property experts known by Cahn Litigation Services. These bios are provided to give lawyers a sense of the Intellectual Property landscape.