Wrongful Termination Expert Witnesses
What is a wrongful termination expert witness?
Wrongful termination expert witness candidates typically have areas of expertise in employment law, vocational rehabilitation, and/or possess a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certification. Forensic accountants (or CPAs) specializing in economic loss, lost profits, earning capacity, lost earnings, and emotional distress damages as they relate to a wrongful termination claim are often called in to provide economic damage analysis. In a high-profile case a law firm may request a testifying expert with prior expert witness testimony experience.
What types of cases require a wrongful termination expert witness?
The terms of the employment contract and the governing laws for wrongful dismissal vary by jurisdiction. Wrongful termination expert witness candidates can provide support for many types of cases, including:
- Discrimination: An employer cannot terminate employment because of race, nationality, religion, sex, or age.
- Retaliation: An employer cannot terminate employment if the employee filed a discrimination claim.
- Reporting a Violation of Law to Authorities: An employee that reports an employer’s illegal violation, such as fraud, cannot be terminated under whistleblower laws.
- Employee’s refusal to commit an illegal act
- Employer does not comply with the company’s termination procedures and procedures
Constructive dismissal occurs when an employee resigns for reasons resulting from the employer’s violation of the employee’s legal rights. The US government agency Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) is responsible for enforcing employment laws regarding discrimination against an applicant or employee due to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability.
Wrongful termination expert witness case examples
Example employment litigation cases that Cahn Litigation Services has searched for expert witness candidates for have encompassed:
- damages expert for a real estate firm sexual harassment suit,
- human resources management,
- economist to opine on a business valuation methodology for business interruption damages calculations support,
- forensic psychiatry competency assessment,
- district court age discrimination case involving a Texas corporation,
- New York suit involving the American’s with Disabilities Act (ADA),
- breach of contract claim in Los Angeles, California,
- vocational consulting, as well as
- and employment and labor matters involving other claims of employment discrimination and wrongful termination.
What litigation support work might a wrongful termination expert witness be expected to perform?
Litigation support by a wrongful termination expert witness could include record reviews, research and authoring expert reports, arbitrations, providing expert opinions, and expert testimony at deposition and at trial. In addition, a law firm may seek a wrongful termination or vocational rehabilitation expert for pre-litigation consulting work.
Cahn Litigation Services has the experience required to turn a search for a wrongful termination expert witness around quickly, providing the right balance of expertise and testimony experience.
Wrongful Termination Expert Witness - Representative Bios
Please Note: All Cahn Litigation expert witness searches are customized to attorneys' precise specifications and preferences. Attorneys are encouraged to discuss search parameters with a Cahn search specialist.
The below expert witness bios represent a small fraction of those Wrongful Termination experts known by Cahn Litigation Services. These bios are provided to give lawyers a sense of the Wrongful Termination landscape.