Forensic Psychiatry Expert Witnesses
Forensic psychiatry expert witness candidates are typically called on to support a criminal case, insurance claim dispute, or medical malpractice matter. Candidates usually have an advanced degree from an accredited school of medicine behavioral sciences program. Forensic psychiatry work focuses on assessing clients, providing diagnoses, and prescribing medication. Depending on the specifics of the case, legal counsel may look for a practitioner that is a board certified forensic psychiatrist, or has a subspecialty in geriatric psychiatry, adult psychiatry, or child and adolescent psychiatry. The chosen expert could be a member of an industry organization such as the Group for the Advancement of Psychiatry (GAP), the American Psychiatric Association (APA), or the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law (APPL). In a high-profile case, or litigation involving a significant financial stake, an attorney may request a forensic psychiatry professional with prior expert witness testimony experience.
Litigation support activities by a forensic psychiatrist could include a mental health examination, medical records review, an expert report, expert opinion, deposition testimony and courtroom testimony. The expertise of the psychiatric expert will provide credibility to enable the jury to consider the evidence with the weight it deserves. Representing the plaintiff or defendant, Cahn Litigation Services has performed numerous searches for forensic psychiatry expert witnesses. Example matters have encompassed:
- New York child custody evaluation,
- brain injury as a result of child abuse,
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD),
- attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD),
- anxiety disorders,
- independent medical examination (IME) to determine competency to stand trial,
- psychiatric medical malpractice,
- competency to waive Miranda Rights,
- age of criminal responsibility,
- dangerousness risk assessment,
- ethics and standards of care in the practice of forensic psychiatry,
- medical records review in a testamentary capacity case in Maryland,
- posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) evaluation as a result of personal injury and sexual abuse/sexual harassment,
- forensic psychiatric evaluation for an insanity defense, and
- detection of mental illness malingering.
The firm has many years of experience providing healthcare professional candidates for forensic services and litigation support services, including psychiatric and pediatric psychiatry experts. Placing medical experts is a particular area of expertise at Cahn Litigation Services.
Forensic Psychiatry Expert Witness - Representative Bios
Please Note: All Cahn Litigation expert witness searches are customized to attorneys' precise specifications and preferences. Attorneys are encouraged to discuss search parameters with a Cahn search specialist.
The below expert witness bios represent a small fraction of those Forensic Psychiatry experts known by Cahn Litigation Services. These bios are provided to give lawyers a sense of the Forensic Psychiatry landscape.