Damage Calculations Expert Witnesses
Damage calculations expert witness candidates typically have an advanced degree with expertise in forensic accounting, business valuation, and/or economic damage analysis. In a high-profile case, or litigation involving a significant financial stake, the lead attorney may request a professional with prior expert testimony experience. While many experts have damages calculation expertise, an expert witness carries the additional responsibility of providing testimony before the court in a manner whereby a jury and judge can understand the situation and evidence.
- Compensatory Damages – This is intended to restore what a plaintiff has lost as a result of a defendant’s wrongful conduct. Compensatory damages compensate for financial damage due to loss, injury, or harm suffered.
- Nominal Damages – A nominal damage is awarded to the plaintiff in a dispute who establishes that there was suffering due to the wrongful conduct of a defendant, but cannot provide a proof of a loss that can be compensated.
- Punitive Damages – Punitive damages are awarded not as compensation, but to “punish” the wrongdoer and to act as a deterrent to others who might engage in similar conduct. Punitive damages may be awarded in addition to compensatory damages.
Cahn Litigation Services is often called upon to identify a financial expert, including those with specialized knowledge in damages calculation. Matters that Cahn Litigation Services has identified experts for include:
- Commercial litigation (e.g., contract disputes, business interruption, lost earnings)
- Intellectual property matters (e.g., patent infringement, trade secret theft, trademark, copyright, FRAND)
- Product liability
- Business valuation
- Personal injury
- Employment (e.g., wrongful termination)
- Wrongful death
- Property damage
Litigation support services by a damages expert could include lost profits calculations, reasonable royalty calculations, business valuation, damage analysis, expert opinion, depositions, and/or trial testimony. In addition, law firm clients may seek a damages expert for pre-litigation consulting work.
Damage Calculations Expert Witness - Representative Bios
Please Note: All Cahn Litigation expert witness searches are customized to attorneys' precise specifications and preferences. Attorneys are encouraged to discuss search parameters with a Cahn search specialist.
The below expert witness bios represent a small fraction of those Damage Calculations experts known by Cahn Litigation Services. These bios are provided to give lawyers a sense of the Damage Calculations landscape.