Contracts Expert Witnesses
What is a contracts expert witness?
Contracts expert witness typically have experience and expertise in labor and employment law, contracts (including government contracts), federal rules, and other legal issues. Contracts expert witness candidates may hold degrees in economics or human resource management. Additional expertise is areas of contract negations related to the purpose of the contract may also be required (real estate, construction).
What types of cases require a contracts expert witness?
Contracts are a necessity in any type of business, and there are countless reasons to engage in a contract. A breach of contract occurs when a party to a contract fails to fulfill an obligation described in the contract. A breach of contract can occur when the contract is incomplete or unclear; it is not necessarily an intentional breach. Common types of disputes that could require a contracts expert witness in a litigation include:
- Business contracts: A contract with employees, vendors, and contractors is good business practice for the protection of all parties involved. Other business contract disputes could involve mergers/acquisitions, shareholders, and lost profits.
- Commercial leases : Contract language can cause disputes between business owners renting space, and real estate owners.
- Sale of goods & warranties: The Uniform Commercial Code guides the sale of goods between a merchant and supplier. Product warranties imply that products are sold as advertised and are free of defects.
- Non-disclosure or confidentiality agreement: An NDA or CA is a contract between parties that specifies confidential information that the parties could share for a certain purpose.
Contracts expert witness case examples
Contracts matters for which Cahn Litigation locates expert witnesses include:
- damage claim,
- liability, and
- intellectual property (e.g., contracts involving copyrights).
What litigation support work might a contracts expert witness be expected to perform?
Litigation support by a contracts expert witness could include contract reviews, research and authoring expert reports, providing expert opinions, depositions, and/or courtroom testimony. In addition, clients often seek an industry expert for expert consulting for pre-litigation work. For high profile cases, or litigation involving a significant financial stake, a law firm may require an expert with prior expert witness testimony experience.
Cahn Litigation Services has the experience required to turn a search for a contracts expert witness around quickly, providing the right balance of expertise and testimony experience.
Contracts Expert Witness - Representative Bios
Please Note: All Cahn Litigation expert witness searches are customized to attorneys' precise specifications and preferences. Attorneys are encouraged to discuss search parameters with a Cahn search specialist.
The below expert witness bios represent a small fraction of those Contracts experts known by Cahn Litigation Services. These bios are provided to give lawyers a sense of the Contracts landscape.