Location Based Services Expert Witnesses
Location Based Services (LBS) expert witness candidates typically possess backgrounds in software engineering, network communications, and/or have specialized knowledge in GPS or GIS. Location based services use real-time geo-data from a cell phone (or other mobile device) to disseminate information. Location based services use GPS technology to track a device location. Some examples of how businesses and consumers utilize location-based services include:
- Turn-by-turn navigation
- Locating friends/family on a map displayed on a mobile phone
- Location-based mobile device advertising
- Sending a cell phone location during an emergency call
- Recommending events (such as via Yelp)
- Using location-based intelligence, helping retail customers to find a nearby store
- Geo-fencing, which is a virtual perimeter (for example, notifying parents if a child penetrates a certain zone, or sending an alert if a vehicle is stolen)
- Travel information (traffic updates, road conditions and weather reports)
- Fraud prevention (syncing a customer’s location to a credit card transaction)
- Managing a mobile workforce by tracking employees in the field (delivery services, repair services)
Often, matters requiring location-based services expert witness work involve patent infringement litigation. Expert witness services by a location-based services expert witness could include an expert report, expert opinion, and/or trial testimony. In a high-profile case, or litigation involving a significant financial stake, an attorney may require a testifying expert with prior expert witness testimony experience. In addition, clients often seek an industry expert for pre-litigation consulting work.
While many experts have location-based services expertise, an expert witness carries the additional responsibility of providing testimony before the court in a manner whereby lay people can understand the technology and evidence.
Location Based Services Expert Witness - Representative Bios
Please Note: All Cahn Litigation expert witness searches are customized to attorneys' precise specifications and preferences. Attorneys are encouraged to discuss search parameters with a Cahn search specialist.
The below expert witness bios represent a small fraction of those Location Based Services experts known by Cahn Litigation Services. These bios are provided to give lawyers a sense of the Location Based Services landscape.