Aviation Expert Witnesses
What is an aviation expert witness?
Aviation expert witness candidates are often licensed professional engineers with advanced degrees (PE, PhD) in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, aeronautical engineering, or aerospace engineering with extensive experience in aircraft design and maintenance, aviation safety, commercial or military flight operations, air traffic control, airport management, FAA regulations, and/or avionics.
Some of these experts are also airplane or helicopter pilots and/or instructors with an extensive knowledge of FAA regulations and/or flight operations. Some aviation expert witness candidates have military or aviation security experience and many are members of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association or the Experimental Aircraft Association.
What types of cases require an aviation expert witness?
A wide variety of legal cases require aviation-related experts to weigh in on intellectual property disputes such as patent infringement litigation, inter partes reviews in the PTAB, or trade secret disputes. Representatives matters that Cahn Litigation Services has performed expert searches for include:
- aircraft engine failure and operations
- aeronautics / aerospace engineering specifics
- airline transport pilots (ATP) / airline transport pilot training
- Human factors product development
- aircraft leasing disputes
- commercial or military flight operations
- helicopter valuation
- aviation appraisals
- airport planning or management issues
- NTSB piloting safety recommendations
- aviation meteorology
- airplane / helicopter accident investigations
- flight training by a certified flight instructor (type rating)
- airframe stability
- rotary-wing aircraft regulatory compliance
- aviation safety management systems
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations and investigations
Aviation expert witness case examples
- New York City airline operations / flight test conditions
- Aviation security at an Arizona airport
- Air safety in the Los Angeles area
What litigation support work might an aviation expert witness be expected to perform?
Litigation support by an aviation expert witness could include reverse engineering, authoring expert reports, providing expert opinions, and testimony at deposition and trial. Forensic engineering of components can prove (or disprove) intellectual property infringement or theft. An aviation expert might also provide testimony in a product liability case involving failure analysis, be called upon to testify in an aircraft accident investigation, or provide aviation appraisal testimony.
In addition, clients may seek an expert for pre-litigation aviation consulting work. In a high-profile case, or litigation involving a significant financial stake, a law firm may request a qualified expert with prior expert witness testimony experience.
Aviation Expert Witness - Representative Bios
Please Note: All Cahn Litigation expert witness searches are customized to attorneys' precise specifications and preferences. Attorneys are encouraged to discuss search parameters with a Cahn search specialist.
The below expert witness bios represent a small fraction of those Aviation experts known by Cahn Litigation Services. These bios are provided to give lawyers a sense of the Aviation landscape.