Start Computer Fraud Expert Search
Computer fraud expert witness candidates typically have extensive experience in computer science. A computer fraud expert witness needs to not only have substantive expertise, but must also possess the ability to explain digital evidence and computer evidence to jurors. In a high-profile case or litigation involving a significant financial stake, law firms may request a computer forensics expert with prior expert witness testimony experience. Computer fraud encompasses:
- Distribution of hoax emails
- Accessing unauthorized computers
- Data mining via spyware and malware
- Hacking into computer systems to illegally access personal information
- Sending computer viruses or worms to destroy a computer system
Computer fraud is a federal criminal law. In the United States, computer fraud is unlawful under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA), which criminalizes computer-related activities involving the unauthorized access of data. The CFAA specifically prohibits:
- Knowingly accessing a computer without authorization to obtain national security or other government-restricted data.
- Intentionally accessing a computer without authorization to obtain certain information from a financial institution or consumer reporting agency.
Matters requiring computer fraud expert witness services usually center around a cyber security criminal investigation. Litigation support by a computer fraud expert could include computer forensics, expert report preparation, expert opinion, depositions, and expert testimony in the courtroom. In addition, law firms may request a cybersecurity expert for a pre-litigation computer investigation. Cahn Litigation Services is frequently called upon by attorney clients to locate experts that can support a criminal case involving computer forensics and computer security issues. The firm has the experience required to turn a search around quickly and provide qualified candidates that mirror the specifications set by the law firm.
Please Note: All Cahn Litigation expert witness searches are customized to attorneys' precise specifications and preferences. Attorneys are encouraged to discuss search parameters with a Cahn search specialist.
Start Custom Search
The below expert witness bios represent a small fraction of those Computer Fraud experts known by Cahn Litigation Services. These bios are provided to give attorneys a sense of the Computer Fraud landscape.